Role of Governors
WHAT DOES THE SCHOOL’S GOVERNING BODY DO?
Who is on the Governing Body?
The Governing Body at St Mary’s RC has a balance of parent governors, foundation governors (from the parish), staff governors and a local authority representative (we can also have associate members if this is required).
The names of individual governors are on this website.
The role of the Governing Body
The Governing Body is responsible for determining, monitoring and keeping under review the broad policies, plans and procedures within which the school operates. In doing this it recognises that the Headteacher, in consultation with the staff, is responsible for the implementation of policy, the day-to-day management of the school and the organisation and delivery of the curriculum.
The governing body should:
- Ensure that the vision, ethos and strategic direction of the school are clearly defined.
- Ensure that the head teacher performs his/her responsibilities for the educational performance of the school.
- Ensure the sound, proper and effective use of the school’s financial and other resources
- Act with integrity, objectivity and honesty in the best interests of the school and not for specific children or groups
- Be open about the decisions they make and the actions they take and in particular shall be prepared to explain their decisions and actions to interested parties